Actress Name : Yuliya Snigir
Character Name : Irina Komarov
Year : 2013


In 2013 movie A Good Day to Die Hard. Actress Yuliya Snigir plays as villainess Irina Komarov. One of the subscribers were asking me why I stopped covering new movies, so let me say it, to understand how the people making movies today think, you should understand how they treat artistic works, like you have two of the greatest stories ever made in the history of art, at least in the last millennium were Frankenstein's creature, and The Vampyre, two of the greatest characters and concept in storytelling of all time, and both stories named after the villain of the story LOL, so what Hollywood did, they made The Bride! But not because they love the 1994 Mary Shelley's Frankenstein movie, that I love, but because they hate the original masterpiece, and how it was named after the villain and focused on the villain, the one who have done things absolutely awful and immoral at least by the standards of Mary Shelley's time, these people despise Mary Shelley, they despise the idea of appealing villain, the idea of strong, charismatic, and appealing villain is something they hate, why exactly should I care? I really don't care, I think these people really hate art, put that in mind and tell me, what would stop these people from going after religion next? Is it, the moral constrains? what moral constrains? These moral constrains didn't stop them from burning art, actually what they are doing is completely moral and selfless, it's moral because they think why immoral fictional character be remembered and even be popular and famous, but not those who suffered by such character for example the unnamed "Frankenstein's creature", so they find what they do is entirely moral, and also their act is entirely selfless because they also denying themselves watching good movies or having fun in order to "make the world better place", so, no, nothing can stop them, and even if they didn't do it, they would create the intolerance that would eventually make it a reality. I basically see them as christian zealots, the same people who killed Hypatia, and I can't stand them, and this is different from how I see reformed Christianity, because Dracula 2000 is a reformed Christianity movie, this movie wasn't made by christian zealots, what these people are doing is manufacturing extremism, and I think any extremism form any side is tyrannical..

Anyway, let's start watching the movie..

Irina's intro, like, Holly shit, Amaury Nolasco from Prison Break is in this movie, Prison Break was not just a TV show, but a phenomena, for a while whenever people saw the actors on screen they often called them by the names of their TV characters, like when Wentworth Miller was in Legends of Tomorrow, it wasn't Wentworth Miller playing Leonard Snart, it was Michael Scofield, and Legends of Tomorrow kind of played on such perception, so whenever you see Wentworth Miller in the show, you go like "This villain is played by Michael Scofield, so it must be smart" LOL..

I'm happy to see Bruce Willis, and I really hope he gets well soon..

Wow, I love this logo around 7 minutes 42 seconds..

Around 11 minutes, it seems like John McClane went to Russia and the driver is speaking English, which is making me say in my evil voice "You American expect the whole world to speak English so you can understand them, but you never learn a second language to understand the rest of the world" LOL..

One of the things that Kim Penn is one of my favorite actresses of all time is how she can speak both Chinese and English very will, and being able to be part of both Hollywood and Chinese cinema, which is really hard to do, being a marital artist to be in a Chinese movie then was hard, and being in Hollywood movie was also hard even for Chinese stars like Jackie, and she manged to be in both..

This is actually smart, Bruce Willis playing as Jack McClane's dad, that's what you do when you try to introduce young actors to the public, with a main character was as its peak in 1988, you have Jack McClane, Irina, and Murphy all played by young actors, who aren't as known especially when it comes to movies, so people can again recognize them, something I miss with modern Jackie Chan movies, like his movies created many superstars that earned their own audiences, now, his movies lack "I remember this character" or "I know this actor/actress".

23 minutes in, and John McClane is barely active in the movie LOL. like you can just take him out of the movie, and you can barely notice.. There are two characters that can be the most memorable in such movie, in case the movie want to introduce new actors to work with them later, the first one is Jack McClane, and that's for the franchise, you basically want the franchise keep going, the second one is whoever play the most memorable villain, and that would be for different movies outside the franchise, basically if people want to see them again, you get the actor and make them play another character in a different movie, any other character is below that..

 God, they used to know how to make action movies, action movies as action movies, the first half hour basically car chases and crashes, Rocket launchers, just pure action..

I'm enjoying the movie, but it's Die Hard by name, like, it's a good movie, this movie could be made without being associated with Die Hard at all, like a totally different movie..

The writing in this movie is so bad, like when Irina put her father under gun point, he goes like "But I'm your father" and she replies "And I'm your daughter", it's so bad, but let's be honest, no one would watch this movie for the story, it's all about the action, just good old dumb fun..

I get that critics don't like this movie, and say the writing is bad, also the motive for the hero doesn't seem that strong, but if the movie ended and I had fun, it's good movie, it maybe not what you would expect from a Die Hard movie, and here's what I think, I think villains are eternal, it's like Calista said "I'm pure life, all you are now is slow death", meaning, a heroic character overtime get exhausted, you can never keep the same quality of what the first Die Hard was, you absolutely can't, what you can do is to focus on the villains, you can have Hans Gruber, you can have Mai who was portrayed by Maggie Q, you can have Irina Komarov, these are the gems of the franchise, so if you are watching the franchise for the sole purpose of the hero, it's a matter of time you get disappointed, because there are not so many things a hero can do to keep the same level of quality of the original movie, but if you are watching it for the villains, if they have decent villains, you still get to have a really good time..

We see our villainess around 1 hour 15 minutes, and god, just her looking at me, and I would be paralyzed, that's why I should never guard a nuclear weapon, because if I did and met a villainess like her, humanity is doomed, like there's zero chance I wouldn't fall in love with her..

So, I guess male villains are useless in this movie, as the only noticeable male villain was shot by another villain, just like that, as if he's nothing to the story!

Around 1 hour 24 minutes Irina starts shooting at the heroes, and the final confrontation starts from there..

Me enjoying the movie doesn't negate what this movie actually is, this movie is 1 hour 40 minutes demo reel, which means those who do the practical effects show how good they can do practical effects, you have new young actors introduced to the masses waiting for someone to be very recognized to the point of stardom, they know the IP would get a lot of people, but the movie is basically an attempt to build towards new stars and new movies that can get the same hype, so in that case who was the star of the movie, only two, Jai Courtney in the franchise, and Irina outside the franchise, why Irina, because male villains in the movie barely noticeable, like the most noticeable thing they did was when a villain said he danced, I can't even remember his name, Bruce Willis was also very inactive in the movie to give a space to the young actors, one of the reasons Bruce Willis was doing movies that isn't anything in the quality of his other movies like The Sixth Sense, or Die Hard, was because he really cared about movies and art and really wanted to keep going seeing movies.. Anyway, Dracula 2000 too was an attempt to introduce new stars to the public, and it worked, even tho the movie was commercially successful, while A Good Day to Die Hard it failed even tho the movie was commercially successful, which interesting contradiction, with Dracula 2000 worked with Danny Masterson in That '70s Show, even if people wouldn't know his name, they would recognize his face, and it worked with Gerard Butler when he played Romance, and it also worked with Famke Janssen in Nip/Tuck, which was one of the smartest casting choices ever, it worked with Jaime Pressly in My Name Is Earl, they could've done that with Giancarlo Esposito, but they trapped him with different variations of the same character.. That's what someone like me notice watching thousands and thousands of movies and TV episodes from different cultures over the years..















  


- A fan Blog about fiction and fictional female villains in movies and TV shows -